Saturday, January 31, 2009

Are you ready for some Football?


Tomorrow is Super Bowl 43. I'm not a HUGE fan of football, but I do watch it (while crocheting.. hehe). My husband and I are going to a Super Bowl party at a friends home and I've been working on a few things to bring along to munch on.

I am not a Steelers fan at all, it's my honest opinion that they stole the Super Bowl a few years ago when the Sea Hawks played against them, I mean really what was up with those calls the Refs were making?? Ok I digress... lol I was really rooting for the Ravens this year (in all honesty this is only because they're from Baltimore and that's where Duff's Bakery is... lol) but after the Steelers beat them a couple weekends ago in the playoffs my support was redirected to the Cardinals. Basically anyone but the Steelers!! :)


The Cardinals colors are red and white so I made Southern Red Velvet cupcakes with white cream cheese frosting to go with us, the colors are perfect for this. Now don't laugh, this is my very first time making a cake from scratch. Yep, very first and oh my did they turn out DELICIOUS! Beginners luck??

We're also bringing along an alcoholic treat, seeing as the Super Bowl is in Florida this part is touching on that aspect. Orange Slice Jello Shots are soo fun and really yummy you just have to remember, as the disclaimer states: REMEMBER, YOU ARE SERVING SOLID BOOZE.

Image linked directly to site


Orange Slice Jello Shots

Ingredients:
  • 2 x oranges
  • 1 pkg orange-flavored Jello
  • 1/2 cup Vodka
Directions:
  1. Slice oranges in half. Using a spoon, scoop out all the flesh and divider pith. Reserve.
  2. In a medium bowl, add Jello and 1/2 cup boiling water. When Jello has dissolved, add vodka. Pour liquid Jello into orange halves. Refrigerate for approximately 4 hours, or until firm. To serve, slice each half into 3 wedges. REMEMBER, YOU ARE SERVING SOLID BOOZE.
Along with the two goodies that I've made we are also going to bring along this delicious Jalapeno Sausage my hubby's parents sent us. They send us this incredible sausage/brat/etc package from Wisconsin every year for the Holidays. Being as both of us are of German descent we enjoy it immensely! Just need to pick up a box of Fire Roasted Tomato and Olive Oil Triscuits (our favorite) and some yummy garlicky pickles and cheese and we'll be set.


I, also, made the Pop Tarts that I mentioned in my last post. I'm not sure if I did it right but they did turn out delicious, all four of them. I may need to double the recipe so that it will yield more? I filled mine with grape jam, the favorite of my family. It was so funny as they were munching on them they were all giving me filling ideas. The favorite so far is chocolate marshmallow. I'm going to have to do this again and use that for a filling. I have to say the pastry is delicious, flaky and makes the whole thing! Much better then the store bought version.

Enjoy your Saturday!

No comments: