Saturday, May 2, 2009

Blog-Recipe Sunday:

While perusing blogs I find so many recipes that I mean to try but never get around to; silly me forgets to bookmark the blog. In order to fix this I am devoting Sundays to one recipe I find during the previous week, on a blog out there in blog land, to try out and share here on my blog. My hope is that this will encourage me to cook and bake more.

I found today's recipe on Little Birdie Secret's blog, the recipe is for Orange Glazed Blueberry Scones; a Tyler Florence recipe. The reason I chose this recipe was her photo of the scones she made. That photo totally sold me! They looked so moist and delicious I just had to try and make these for my family.

Orange Glazed Blueberry Scones


Gather the Ingredients
  • 2 cups unbleached flour, plus more for rolling berries
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut in chunks
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk or cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1 pint fresh blueberries

Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl.

Cut the butter in using a pastry blender.

Until the butter resembled crumbs.

Mix the buttermilk and egg together.

Then add it to the flour mixture. The recipe suggests you mix just to incorporate so you don't overwork the dough.

Coat the blueberries in flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the scone when baked.

Fold the blueberries into batter.

Drop large tablespoons of batter on an ungreased cookie sheet and then bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Orange Glaze

  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 2 oranges, juiced and zested

To prepare Orange Glaze

Zest both oranges into bowl.

Juice both oranges over the zest.

Add butter and sugar to the zest and juice.

Place the bowl over a pot to create a double boiler and cook the mixture until the butter and sugar are melted and thickened.

Remove from heat and beat until smooth.

Drizzle over the top of scones and there you you have it - The yummiest scones!

Go ahead and try the recipe, it's not that complicated and they are the moistest scones I've ever had the pleasure of eating. So thanks to Little Birdie Secrets for sharing the recipe. :)

C

No comments: